30 October 2012

Leaving the herd

TL;DR
If this post has been published, then it means I have left the herd. I AM SHEEPLE NO LONGER!


Long story, if you care to read
I have been using an iOS device more or less for the past year and a half. My initiation to the iOS ecosystem started with the iPod touch 4th generation. I wasn't convinced on getting an iPhone yet because first it is freaking expensive and second because a lot of anti-iOS folk were making a fuss about how stupid it was and inferior to Android. The iPod touch was being touted as a portable media player and I am a music junkie so I was happy with it.

The iPod touch was a great device made even better when there was a WiFi connection it can connect to. I could browse and post stuff on social networks or do mindless searches with search engines. But it felt limiting; I could only access the Internet when WiFi was around. So it left me wanting.

As the years progressed, so did the mobile industry and the telecoms with it. I'd see a lot of ads about prepaid data charges for a monthly bandwidth of 250MB which cost around PhP300. At this point, I decided to give Android a try but since I didn't want to spend too much money, I decided to get the Alcatel OT-980 phone to try out those prepaid offerings of mobile connectivity. I am not sure whether it was the telecom, the phone or a combination of both that made the experience undesirable. So I decided to stop wasting money on the low quality service and got myself a Nokia X1-00. The Alcatel phone ended up unused on a shelf (eventually, I gave it to my kid brother).

When Apple announced the iPhone 4s, I wasn't even keen on getting one because I knew it would be expensive. I missed my iPod touch but it has already found a new home in the loving hands of my wife (who I realized found more use for it than I did). But still, I wouldn't have gotten the iPhone 4s had it not been offered on a promo from a telecom. So I got a postpaid plan which came with unlimited data and I have been using it until this post.

If this post has been published, then it means I have left the herd. I AM SHEEPLE NO LONGER!

As of right now, I am most likely holding an Android device in my hands. Cradling it lovingly and sniffing its glorious plasticky smell. I feel compelled to write down my reasons here and now but you see, the device beckons me to explore it. Perhaps I'll write a follow up post using the device.

No comments:

Post a Comment